Our exciting Guided Tours take you deep inside the Hollow Mountain, where you will see the mighty Machine Hall, and our experienced guides will tell you all about the Power Station, from its history and construction to how it works and its current role generating up to 440MW at times of peak demand on the National Grid.
The Guided Tour lasts approximately 30 minutes.
It is strongly recommended to book your place on a guided tour to prevent disappointment, as there are limited spaces on each tour.
The rates for our guided tours are:
- Adults: £7.50
- Senior citizens/Students : £6.50
- Children: 5 - 15 yrs £2.50, under 5 years are free.
- Green Tourism Offer: Discounted rates are available on our guided tours for persons arriving by public transport, on foot or by bicycle. This offer is subject to availability and booking is strongly recommended to prevent disappointment.
- You will be accompanied by our Tour Guide and taken to our Visitors’ Gallery, which is located underground
- Travelling on a tour bus, you will be driven down the 1.1km access tunnel, followed by a short walk (up an incline with steps) to the Visitors’ Gallery
- The Power Station can be quite noisy and humid at times due to the electricity generators/ pumps.
- There is a possibility of flashing lights in the access tunnel to the Power Station
- No bags or cameras are permitted on the tour, but lockers are provide at the Visitor Centre free of charge
- Cruachan is a working Power Station and on rare occasions we may have to delay or cancel our guided tours
Our tours are unfortunately not suitable for wheelchair users and may be unsuitable for persons with limited mobility / need for weight bearing walking aids (frames, crutches etc) as the route to the visitor gallery requires tour participants to walk along an up-hill walk-way with a number of steps. We are not able to offer lift access to the visitor’s gallery inside the cavern.
Whilst we will always do our best to accommodate any special requirements, the safety of our visitors and staff is of primary importance. Please contact us for further information.